Having a strong password is like locking your house. You wouldn't leave your front door unlocked, so it also makes sense to choose a secure password; one which is easily remembered, but very difficult for others to guess.
signonday.com.au account passwords need to follow a password policy with some basic rules to help ensure account safety and security.
Password Policy requirements
The following apply when changing an signonday.com.au password:
- Should be at least 8 characters in length
- Should contain a mix of upper and lowercase characters
- Should contain at least one digit (e.g. 0-9)
- Cannot be based on your username
- Cannot contain spaces or tabs.
- Do not re-use passwords across multiple websites or companies. If this password is discovered then you risk serious identity and financial issues, so be sure to use a different password for every site or company that you use.
- Avoid passwords that would be readily identifiable or easy for anyone to guess, such as your name or business name.
- Avoid using dictionary or foreign words. Hackers have many tools, such as dictionary programs, to assist them.
- Never reuse old passwords. Use a completely new password every time you change your passwords.
Some helpful tips for strong passwords
- Choose an easy-to-remember password - this reduces the chances of having to write it down for someone to discover
- Use a combination of letters or words rather than just one word
- Avoid the obvious - don't use a daughter's name or a pet's name
- Use a pass-phrase- take the first letter from a sentence of words as a basis for the password; e.g. 'The cat with a hat sat on a mat' could become 'Tcwahsoam'
- Add or substitute special characters and numbers into the password; e.g. the letter 's' could become '$' and the letter 'o' could become zero '0' so 'Tcwahsoam' becomes 'Tcwah$0am' and now meets the Password Policy requirements
- If you're having trouble remembering a secure password, consider using song names (or film titles) with extra security built-in: e.g. 'Hotel California' becomes 'H0t3lC@l1f0rn1@' or 'Stairway To Heaven' becomes '$ta1rway2H3av3n'.